Masaka City Woman MP Justine Nameere has issued a detailed statement defending the circumstances surrounding her brief detention on Friday night, offering her account of what she describes as a failed arrest attempt that ended with what she terms “presidential intervention.”
In a Sunday night message shared on her social media platforms, Nameere alleged that security officers attempted to apprehend her shortly after she concluded her post-swearing-in convoy in Masaka.
She claimed the operation was linked to political tensions involving MP Daudi Kabanda and said it was later halted before she was escorted back home.
She stated that President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni intervened directly to ensure her safety, dismissing the arrest attempt as misguided and politically motivated. However, these claims have not been independently verified by security agencies or State House.
According to Nameere, the incident began when armed operatives intercepted her convoy in what she described as a “drone operation” along the Masaka–Kampala route.
She alleged that the group initially moved her towards Kampala but later altered course near Mpigi after what she called a “botched mission.”
She further claimed that another security team later met her and escorted her to a residence in Kampala.
“So some soldiers came to Masaka in a drone… and apparently ‘arrested me.’ We headed towards Kampala but around Mpigi their mission got botched when the President sent another team to take me safely home,” she said.
Nameere added that no formal charges, interrogation, or search of her residence was conducted, insisting that the incident did not amount to a lawful arrest.
She also accused MP Daudi Kabanda of orchestrating misinformation surrounding the incident, describing him in strong political terms and accusing him of attempting to mislead the President.
Kabanda has not publicly responded to the latest allegations.
In her statement, Nameere also claimed she held communication with President Museveni, who allegedly advised her to ignore what she termed “propaganda” against her. She further stated that she was later provided with security escort upon returning to Masaka after a brief rest.
She also referenced consultations with Defence Minister Jacob Oboth Oboth, describing him as supportive and dismissive of the allegations circulating against her.
Security agencies have not issued a comprehensive account of the incident, though earlier reports indicated that unidentified operatives had intercepted her convoy on Friday night.
Police previously stated they were investigating the circumstances surrounding the operation, amid confusion over which unit was involved.
